Saturday, July 18, 2009

"oh!?!...Is that IT?

For a few weeks I laboured over getting this painting right and worried it was going to be what the lady wanted. I made sure the colours popped. I made sure there was good texture in the areas where I wanted to stand out. I was so excited and loved the painting I did not want to give it away after is was complete. I held on to it for a couple of weeks after I was finished. The she started to call for it...I had to reveal to her the piece I loved so much. We drove to her work....she took one look at it and she said..."oh!?!....is that IT? Yikes~! I was so disgusted with her trashy self....I could not believe she had the bad taste to deliver her displeasure in the painting that way. There could have been so many other ways she could have put it. When you tell an artist you don't like a piece that was meant for you created by them you don't like it......you have to use some tact....or you might get punched in the face or kicked in the nuts. That is what it felt like to me. It felt like she should have just kicked me in the nuts. then she really put her foot in her mouth suggesting her brother likes that certain kind of painting and she will take it anyway in hopes of her brother wanting it. So now she is giving me charity. She was willing to pay the price. To me it was not about the money. It was about appreciation. It was about finding that painting a good home. My paintings are given life for someone to be inspired. Artists are in it for filling a HUGE void in their lives. For me it is making people happy and making them feel like that painting will somehow define them....in some sense anyway. I know that sounds ridiculous. How can a painting define you? Well....the painting can tell a story about you and your passion In any case. I walked out of her work and took that painting home. TODAY. I was visiting a friend and he was talking about a painting I showed him last year. He remembered thinking he wanted that painting for his father. I remember telling him it was reserved for someone. Well as soon as I told him that person rejected it...it was like he just won the lottery or something. His eyes rolled back...he was so happy. I was complete at that moment. This friend of ours is a very special person. He loves that painting for himself but he wants to give it to his father. There is so much more to this story I gave the short version. The point I learned in all of this and it has been proven to me time and time again....I will always put my heart and soul into every piece. I will not feel bad in that after I put everything into a piece and the recipient does not approve...I will find a home for that piece. I will just paint what I feel and show everyone. Art is for everyone to be inspired somehow. Everyone needs to feel what the artist feels. We should all be so blessed to fall in love with a piece of art work. I know I am weird...I look as art in such a deep way. I have so much to say about it. That is why I am writing and you are reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment