Thursday, December 31, 2015

What Do I Name My Art?

The Name! What do I call my painting? Everyone wants to have a name to everything. Sometimes I will  create a piece and I do not have a name or a reason I painted it. I just let it flow from the first line.  

Recently I started to paint a group of pieces and I am inspired from the last piece. I have a name to the series but the individual pieces do not have a uniqueness about them, as a body of work they are classified under the series name. In that respect I guess I could get away with not having a name. Does anyone reading this come across or experience that? 

I used to worry about what everyone says about what I am doing or creating. I always wanted to be the people pleaser and in the process so created some horrible stuff. Or stuff that I did not enjoy. Funny how the stuff I enjoy making doesn't have a name and I let it flow, the stuff I created to impress and fill walls up for a show in the past was created very carefully thinking of who is looking and the subject matter was boring and the painting did not flow. I did not feel genuine. Creating work that way is forced. 

I have also learned the economics of the art world you have to sacrifice a little of your comfort level to make a sale. Of course this is my opinion. You don't have to agree. I don't care if you like it. But if you can relate I will be so happy I could help! 

No comments:

Post a Comment