Thursday, March 18, 2010

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.... Davinci

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.... Davinci


Wow. What a powerful statement. Do we as artists get lazy and create to just create at times. To just get a subject out on our canvas as quick as possible? Do we sometimes shy away from the pain that we experience when using our soul as inspiration? is it not where we should derive all our energy for creating? 


Last night I was painting a piece for an event. I could have chosen the theme of the day(St. Patricks Day) but I instead chose what I truly wanted to paint. I just added the green to align myself with the day. Creating last night was effortless. It flowed.There was true creative energy from people performing their music as I painted. Everyone was so gracious with spending their time to watch me and talk with me. I felt so humbled at their compliments and even their criticisms. I enjoyed every moment. I truly was creating a piece of work from my soul and heart. 


I think when an artist experiences creating from their internal innermost thought and emotions...it shows. We all need to develop that link between our soul and our hand. Let our being create. We need to listen to that we truly Want and Need to create. At some point we all have to make a living or give someone something that is out of our norm as an artist. Only if it is for the benefit of another person to grow as an art lover or artist. We cannot or shall not compromise ourselves and believe we can ignore that link. Discovering who we really are through a representation in our art is a needed must. We cannot go beyond that and expect to be passionate about creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment