Thursday, February 4, 2010

How To Network and Market yourself as an artist?

Shake hands, be nice, keep it simple, remember names and dont give up. I found it not very hard to get to know these people in the art community. You just have to be persistent and always push forward. Do not be aggressive with these people. They all have "paid their dues". These people are weary of newcomers coming into their world with a cocky attitude. It is not that kind of environment. It is a more laid back sharing environment with your basic 10 percent of idiots.

In the short time I have been out here in my city joining the events and showing my work I try and be kind to everyone. I learn from their creative spirit. I do not always feel comfortable in these situations but I make the best of it and talk to all artists at least to see where they're at. I make sure to shake hands and greet everyone. As for remembering names....I tell them up front I am bad with names! You cannot be shy in this world. You have to meet everyone. Spark a conversation if there is eye contact. never interrupt if they are talking about their work. Only talk about your work if they ask. Do not make it a comparison contest. it is not a contest. This is a sharing of ideas. Be real and original. Meaning ....do not fake the smile.

Everyone has their own story. Everyone has their own experiences they go through to get to where they are. Some artists go through years of education and commitment to learning and training to hone in on their medium. Some people take a life time of experience and translate it into their work with out the formal training and schooling. Their passion for the love of their work and with experimentation....this gives them the hunger and love for learning more. So many artists are self taught and use their life experiences to their advantage. Some of these are hindered with their ability and want to do so much more. They are also the ones that have to work harder for the piece to come alive. We all just want to create. We all want to be noticed for what we do. The next level is very challenging....marketing and making a name for yourself. that is a very different animal.

Do you know what you are getting yourself into if you want to be known? It is alot of persistent, unwavering, hardcore, committed work. You have to be out there. Online and at the shows, events and galleries. Meeting and being a part of the "scene". Do not put expectations or pre-conceived thoughts about what is going to happen. Just be yourself. Smile. Shake hands...and have a good time. Do not be afraid to do group shows. Do not be afraid to volunteer some time here and there. Be open to giving of yourself to the art community. I am not an expert on this industry....but people are people in any walk...they want to smile, be inspired and be welcomed. I hope this rant served some purpose. I will never know. All I know is what I experience.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to write this post. I am new to the art world and I am learning ways to get myself noticed. Your post has prevented me from making some very silly mistakes. This will probably sound silly to a professional but this is my first attempt at 'networking' so thank you for giving me the confidence and I hope I haven't made too much of a fool of myself :-)

    ReplyDelete